We’re seeking passionate individuals, regardless of background for our Tanzania Project Manager position in Tanzania.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with their end users. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet.
And yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
Human Network International (HNI) and VOTO Mobile are joining forces to catalyze a mobile movement, connecting non-profits, governments, and businesses to the people they serve using the digital technologies they have in their pockets. Our new social enterprise – coming in Quarter 1 2017 –envisions a world where all people have access to the information they need to make decisions for healthy, prosperous lives.
With more than 8 million people reached to-date, we are well on our way to meeting our goal of reaching 100M people by 2021.
We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our fast-growing team. If you are motivated to use your skills to tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges, and do it at a place where you can learn and grow, we want you on our team.
As one of the first employees of our new joint entity, you will be joining more than 100 colleagues working to amplify the voice of the underheard through mobile technology. You will be asked to problem-solve on a daily basis, work to develop yourself and those around you, and help shape a young, ambitious company that is powering a global movement.
About the Role
HNI and VOTO Mobile frequently need project managers to run initiatives we are delivering for our partners and clients. The project manager is the leader of implementing a set of solutions and ensuring we help our clients in reaching their goals. You will be broadly responsible for delivering a high quality and impactful project on time and budget.
- Project Management
- Help to establish work plans and deliverables for each project under supervision
- Monitor and contribute to the implementation of these work plans according to the established time lines
- Facilitate trainings and content development workshops as needed
- Assist to recruit, supervise and train staff and consultants needed to meet project objectives, as required
- Supervise qualitative and quantitative research and other field activities
- Partner Management
- Be the primary point of contact for partners as determined by the Country Manager
- Provide close assistance to these partners for the effective use of HNI-VOTO services in the domains of health, agriculture, gender, water and sanitation, and more
- Monitor the implementation of the needs of these partners according to the project objectives
- Inform clients of new services and product improvements
- Solicit and document client feedback, including needs and expectations to inform the ongoing development of HNI-VOTO offerings
- New Business Development
- Represent the organization with donors, Government representatives, consortium partners and clients, as delegated by the Country Manager
- Identify potential partners and clients in the public and private sectors for HNI-VOTO services
- Lead the client acquisition process by engaging with these partners and providing demonstrations of HNI-VOTO services
- Support the development of new project proposals and budgets in coordination with the Country Manager
- Seek out strategic partnerships for the improvement of HNI-VOTO services
- Maintain a database for client relationship management
Knowledge & Skills:
- Problem solving – able to understand end-user needs and create and evolve a service that meets them
- Detail oriented and reliable – will always come through on deliverables and client needs as well as quality check work and tasks before they are implemented in order to avoid errors, delays and added costs
- Management skills – oversee a project to keep it on time and budget (while hitting quality deliverables) including sub-contractors and partners
- Mobile engagement knowledge – understand how end users in your geography use their mobile phones and interact with mobile (IVR, SMS, data) content
- Tech savvy – you can understand how to use a technology to benefit end users from a design perspective and you can quickly learn how to actually use a software system yourself to implement the project
- Sector knowledge – ideally you’d know about the sector in which your projects will work, this could be governance, agriculture, health, education or market research
- Entrepreneurship – ready to take a great concept that has not yet been implemented or planned and turn it into a well-defined and impactful service
- Teamwork – sense of humor, flexibility, humility, loyalty and dedication to the team’s goals
- At least an undergraduate degree
- Speak Kiswahili
- Experience with project management (ideally with multi-year and multi-stakeholder projects)
- Experience with international development NGOs either as clients or by working for them
- Experience helping individuals in a developing economy (e.g., Sub-Saharan Africa) use a technology,
- ideally one that is phone mobile related (e.g., understand end-user interactions with technology)
- Experience using software or working for a software company (e.g., can learn and master a software technology quickly)
Why Work With Us
Purpose + Ambition
We are solving one of the world’s toughest challenges: connecting organizations to people in low-resource settings in a meaningful, respectful, and equitable way. And we’re doing it at a global scale: We aim to reach 100M unique individuals by 2021, creating a movement of more than 2,000 organizations who are using our products to engage with their end users.
Autonomy + Responsibility
As a young organization, every person on our team plays a critical role in creating the organization they want to work at. Our people work with their managers to create their KPIs and are responsible for meeting their goals with little direct oversight. If something doesn’t exist, it’s because one of us hasn’t created it yet.
As a distributed team, we work extra hard to stay connected. We have virtual parties across 15 time zones, use Slack, Skype, and WhatsApp to collaborate and share internet memes, and have formed rituals that remind us who we are and why each of us does the work that we do.
Who You Are
You are passionate about the potential for technology to create social change, and believe that access to information leads to better decision-making.
You know the challenges of working in emerging markets and are eager to tackle them. You thrive on learning new skills, and are motivated to learn and grow. You are intellectually curious, but also like to roll up your sleeves and get things done.
You want to be a part of building something new, and are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can take ownership of your work and be a core part of a global team.
With more than 100 employees and a growth rate of more than 50% each year, we are the largest and fastest-growing mobile engagement provider in Africa and Asia. We have regional offices in Accra, Antananarivo, Mumbai and Washington, D.C, and field offices in more than 15 countries.
3-2-1 is a search engine where there is no internet, enabling individuals to access relevant content in their local language when they need it most.
Canvass, our global survey platform, allows us to call any mobile phone on the planet, collecting real-time quantitative and qualitative data to support better decision-making within organizations and amplify the voice of the underheard.
DataWinners supports organizations and their frontline workers to collect data from remote locations.
InfoLine offers hotlines and interactive messaging campaigns to share critical information and support behavior change communication.
We offer a combination of software development expertise, design insights, and project management. We are trusted by the world’s leading NGOs, foundations, and companies.
Why We Love Working Here
Every day, I get to use my tech skills to help people in communities like the one I grew up in.
– Shirish, Mumbai
I love the commitment and support for staff’s professional growth.
– Jojoo, Accra
I love that we’re an organization that wears ugly Christmas sweaters to hold a global Christmas party across eleven timezones on Skype!
– Adam, Dakar
My favorite moment was witnessing our Partner Success Team in Accra conduct a virtual training for election monitors in Caracas, from my desk in Toronto. There’s no doubt we are a global company!
– Levi, Toronto
There’s rarely a day when I don’t feel like I’m learning something new. It keeps me on my toes and ensures I’m always growing.
– Shamiso, Harare
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: “Tanzania Project Manager” + name of the site that referred you).