We’re seeking passionate individuals, regardless of background for our Webmaster position in Madagascar.
Full-time position – Six month contract to begin. Strong possibility to extend.
Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with their end users. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet.
And yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
Human Network International (HNI) and VOTO Mobile are joining forces to catalyze a mobile movement, connecting non-profits, governments, and businesses to the people they serve using the digital technologies they have in their pockets. Our new social enterprise – coming in Quarter 1 2017 –envisions a world where all people have access to the information they need to make decisions for healthy, prosperous lives.
With more than 8 million people reached to-date, we are well on our way to meeting our goal of reaching 100M people by 2021.
We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our fast-growing team. If you are motivated to use your skills to tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges, and do it at a place where you can learn and grow, we want you on our team.
As one of the first employees of our new joint entity, you will be joining more than 100 colleagues working to amplify the voice of the underheard through mobile technology. You will be asked to problem-solve on a daily basis, work to develop yourself and those around you, and help shape a young, ambitious company that is powering a global movement.
About the Role
You will manage the websites for a leading social enterprise in the M4D movement. Your main role is to ensure that the primary and ancillary websites work as intended. You will also implement new features and integrations on the websites and ensure that our brand’s design and user experience standards are maintained.
- Maintenance and Development of websites using WordPress-based development
- Implement new features on websites
- Turning design mockups into functioning sites
- Creating website layout/user interfaces by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Working with communications manager, designers, and developers to complete tasks
- Correct bugs / issues on current sites
- Providing input and insight on the development aspect website projects
- Provide support and input to other developers.
- Other duties assigned.
Knowledge & Skills
- Modifying (and potentially creating) WordPress themes and plugins.
- Ensuring graphics and other elements are optimized for load-time
- Problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Strong knowledge of HTML / CSS / PHP / MySQL
- Google Analytics setup and event tracking
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Mobile Web and Responsive Web Design Concepts
- Advanced Apache/Nginx Redirect/Rewrite Rules
- WPML Multilingual Plugin for WordPress
- Integrating data from various back-end services and databases
- Browser push notifications
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization
- Design experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc.
- Understanding of Marketing Concepts
- Adapting websites for Facebook Free Basics
- Optimizing audio and video for web pages
- Degree/Certificate in computer science or a related field
- Intermediate English: Ability to communicate and collaborate clearly, verbally and in writing.
Team and Reporting Structure
- Reports to the Media and Communications Manager (Communications Team)
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- Fast learner and interested in new technologies
Why Work With Us
Purpose + Ambition
We are solving one of the world’s toughest challenges: connecting organizations to people in low-resource settings in a meaningful, respectful, and equitable way. And we’re doing it at a global scale: We aim to reach 100M unique individuals by 2021, creating a movement of more than 2,000 organizations who are using our products to engage with their end users.
Autonomy + Responsibility
As a young organization, every person on our team plays a critical role in creating the organization they want to work at. Our people work with their managers to create their KPIs and are responsible for meeting their goals with little direct oversight. If something doesn’t exist, it’s because one of us hasn’t created it yet.
As a distributed team, we work extra hard to stay connected. We have virtual parties across 15 time zones, use Slack, Skype, and WhatsApp to collaborate and share internet memes, and have formed rituals that remind us who we are and why each of us does the work that we do.
Who You Are
You are passionate about the potential for technology to create social change, and believe that access to information leads to better decision-making.
You know the challenges of working in emerging markets and are eager to tackle them. You thrive on learning new skills, and are motivated to learn and grow. You are intellectually curious, but also like to roll up your sleeves and get things done.
You want to be a part of building something new, and are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can take ownership of your work and be a core part of a global team.
With more than 100 employees and a growth rate of more than 50% each year, we are the largest and fastest-growing mobile engagement provider in Africa and Asia. We have regional offices in Accra, Antananarivo, Mumbai and Washington, D.C, and field offices in more than 15 countries.
3-2-1 is a search engine where there is no internet, enabling individuals to access relevant content in their local language when they need it most.
Canvass, our global survey platform, allows us to call any mobile phone on the planet, collecting real-time quantitative and qualitative data to support better decision-making within organizations and amplify the voice of the underheard.
DataWinners supports organizations and their frontline workers to collect data from remote locations.
InfoLine offers hotlines and interactive messaging campaigns to share critical information and support behavior change communication.
We offer a combination of software development expertise, design insights, and project management. We are trusted by the world’s leading NGOs, foundations, and companies.
Why We Love Working Here
Every day, I get to use my tech skills to help people in communities like the one I grew up in.
– Shirish, Mumbai
I love the commitment and support for staff’s professional growth.
– Jojoo, Accra
I love that we’re an organization that wears ugly Christmas sweaters to hold a global Christmas party across eleven timezones on Skype!
– Adam, Dakar
My favorite moment was witnessing our Partner Success Team in Accra conduct a virtual training for election monitors in Caracas, from my desk in Toronto. There’s no doubt we are a global company!
– Levi, Toronto
There’s rarely a day when I don’t feel like I’m learning something new. It keeps me on my toes and ensures I’m always growing.
– Shamiso, Harare
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com (Subject line: “Webmaster” + name of the site that referred you).