We’re seeking passionate individuals, regardless of background for our Senior QA Engineer position in Accra, Ghana.
Mobile technology is revolutionizing how organizations engage with people. More than 96% of the world’s population has access to a mobile phone, meaning it is now possible to reach nearly every single person on the planet.
And yet 3 billion people living in emerging markets still lack access to relevant, timely, and engaging information in their local languages, and their voices remain underheard. The organizations that serve them lack the technology and capacity to reach them, and many are unaware of the power of mobile technology to meet their organizational goals.
Human Network International (HNI) and VOTO Mobile are joining forces to catalyze a mobile movement, connecting non-profits, governments, and businesses to the people they serve using the digital technologies they have in their pockets. Our new social enterprise – coming in Quarter 1 2017 –envisions a world where all people have access to the information they need to make decisions for healthy, prosperous lives.
With more than 8 million people reached to-date, we are well on our way to meeting our goal of reaching 100M people by 2021.
We are looking for exceptional individuals to join our fast-growing team. If you are motivated to use your skills to tackle some of the world’s toughest challenges, and do it at a place where you can learn and grow, we want you on our team.
As one of the first employees of our new joint entity, you will be joining more than 100 colleagues working to amplify the voice of the underheard through mobile technology. You will be asked to problem-solve on a daily basis, work to develop yourself and those around you, and help shape a young, ambitious company that is powering a global movement.
About the Role
VOTO’s global SaaS platform for mobile engagement enables thousands of organizations to share information and gather feedback from the people they serve in the most challenging environments and regions of the world. Usage of our platform grew by over 10X in the past year and we have added new countries, new channels, and new features. In 2017, we are building an ambitious “v3.0” of the platform to add two major new capabilities – while maintaining reliability, usability, and scalability.
Our platform is becoming the most capable mobile services platform in the market. In this role as a Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer, you will champion a quality, reliable, predictable and satisfying experience with VOTO’s next generation platform to enable users in maximising impact. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for designing and developing exploratory tests to ensure high quality and reliable feature releases, while supporting your team to grow through knowledge sharing and mentorship.
- Contribute to the design and development of our testing frameworks and services
- Coordinate testing activities towards delivering high quality and reliable releases
- Conduct feature testing towards high quality and feature releases
- Champion best practices with automated testing efforts
- Develop standards and procedures to determine product quality and release
- Report and track reported bugs and follow them through the defect life cycle
- Assist developers and colleague QA staff’s growth and use of the knowledge base of past failures
- Work closely with developers in reviewing feature specifications and building up test cases
- Support your team’s growth through knowledge sharing
- Become a leader and power user of a versatile mobile engagement platform in order to efficiently test and understand expectations
- Strong experience in software QA methodologies, with tools and processes
- Well rounded experience in software development and software quality assurance
- Able to design and develop simple to complex test cases
- Experience working with major web UI testing frameworks
- Experience with modern backend development using PHP
- Experience with SQL databases and scripting
- A desire and a mindset to break things, to test across multiple simple and complex scenarios and to anticipate problems that may arise with a feature functionality.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently convey thoughts and ideas
- Self-starter, highly motivated and able to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
Why Work With Us
Purpose + Ambition
We are solving one of the world’s toughest challenges: connecting organizations to people in low-resource settings in a meaningful, respectful, and equitable way. And we’re doing it at a global scale: We aim to reach 100M unique individuals by 2021, creating a movement of more than 2,000 organizations who are using our products to engage with people.
Autonomy + Responsibility
As a young organization, every person on our team plays a critical role in creating the organization they want to work at. Our people work with their managers to create their KPIs and are responsible for meeting their goals with little direct oversight. If something doesn’t exist, it’s because one of us hasn’t created it yet.
As a distributed team, we work extra hard to stay connected. We have virtual parties across 15 time zones, use Slack, Skype, and WhatsApp to collaborate and share internet memes, and have formed rituals that remind us who we are and why each of us does the work that we do.
- You are a strong collaborator and contributor to any team
- You are flexible, proactive and can take initiative with unplanned situations
- Share an attitude of ambition, diligence, attention to detail, and pragmatic perfectionism
- Love connecting with developers and have strong technical communication skills
- Can self-manage, and are skilled at prioritizing long-term outcomes while meeting short-term deliverables
- Enjoy working within a diverse team of product designers and software engineers from multiple countries
- You are eager to learn and further develop your professional skills
- You are passionate about the potential for technology to create social change, and believe that access to information leads to better decision-making.
- You know the challenges of working in emerging markets and are eager to tackle them. You thrive on learning new skills, and are motivated to learn and grow. You are intellectually curious, but also like to roll up your sleeves and get things done.
- You want to be a part of building something new, and are looking for a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can take ownership of your work and be a core part of a global team.
With more than 100 employees and a growth rate of more than 50% each year, we are the largest and fastest-growing mobile engagement provider in Africa and Asia. We have regional offices in Accra, Antananarivo, Mumbai and Washington, D.C, and field offices in more than 15 countries.
3-2-1 is a search engine where there is no internet, enabling individuals to access relevant content in their local language when they need it most.
Canvass, our global survey platform, allows us to call any mobile phone on the planet, collecting real-time quantitative and qualitative data to support better decision-making within organizations and amplify the voice of the underheard.
DataWinners supports organizations and their frontline workers to collect data from remote locations.
InfoLine offers hotlines and interactive messaging campaigns to share critical information and support behavior change communication.
We offer a combination of software development expertise, design insights, and project management. We are trusted by the world’s leading NGOs, foundations, and companies.
Why We Love Working Here
Every day, I get to use my tech skills to help people in communities like the one I grew up in.
– Shirish, Mumbai
I love the commitment and support for staff’s professional growth.
– Jojoo, Accra
I love that we’re an organization that wears ugly Christmas sweaters to hold a global Christmas party across eleven time zones on Skype!
– Adam, Dakar
My favorite moment was witnessing our Partner Success Team in Accra conduct a virtual training for election monitors in Caracas, from my desk in Toronto. There’s no doubt we are a global company!
– Levi, Toronto
There’s rarely a day when I don’t feel like I’m learning something new. It keeps me on my toes and ensures I’m always growing.
– Shamiso, Harare
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com (Subject line: “Senior QA Engineer” + name of the site that referred you).